Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Interview

Passi: You've read the Zel Kravinsky paper right Will?

Will: Yes I have.

Passi: What was your first impressino of the piece?

Will: After I read it my first reaction to it was that this guy was either really smart or really dumb. To me he had all this money he could have given to his family to better thier lives and his own but instead he decides to give all of it away. I really wanted to know more about his family life. I question if he knew or felt a true sense of family in his life. Especially since giving all his money still didn't make him happy.

P: While we're talking about family, What is your definition of family? Describe this "true sense of family" that you were just touching on.

W: Family to me is a tight net/group of people who would give or do anything for that other person. People in a family would put eachother above anyone else, this is of course, in contrast to what Zel believes and displays to his family.

P: And how do you feel about valuing others over the lives of your family and over your life like Zel Kravinsky showed us in his paper. Would you take from your own personal health to give away and help another stranger in need?

W: I would if the person was in need and I could help them. I would give a part of my life to them. I don't know if I would give my whole life for a stranger. I feel its a matter of morals and beliefs. Of course my answer would differ from the next guy.

P: That is true. Do you think by excessive giving that Zel Kravinsky will finally achieve happiness? Maybe he just haven't given enough yet to be truly happy. Is his family happy with what he does?

W: I think it will give him some sort of immediate satisfaction. But long term, I do not think he will be happy. In the paper it said no matter how much he gave he was never happy. If you think about it, Zel never really saw the impact that his money was having on the people and organizations he helped. Maybe he just needs to see that his aid is being appreciated. I remember the ox video Mrs. Watson showed us and the man that gave the ox away was very satisfied after he gave his gift to the poor chinese family. I think one of the reasons why he was satified was because he got to see the emotions and appreciation that the family expressed when given the gift. I think this gives a mental and spiritual satisfaction that stays with you. Maybe Zel just has not expirienced this.

P: Thats a very good point. We're going to go off a little due to lack of time, and I really want you to answer some of these questions. Will, could you live life off the basic necesities, like Zel proposes in the paper? Is it wrong not to give excess earned money that you don't need for those basic necesities

W: I think it depends where you live, or the type of people you live around. I don't think I could live off the basic necesities. I could not just go to school and go home all my life. It's very possible for me to live this way, but I am not willing to live without the things you purchase that make life fun. I don't think it is wrong to keep the money you don't essentially need.

P: Lastly, What do you value more, Peace or Progression? I think we can both agree that the two cannot go together. The absence of peace, history has shown, that progression explodes exponentially. During times of peace, progression still occurs, just not as fast.

W: I would really like a balance between the two. you don't have overwheylming poverty. And you don't advance too fast. I think if you had either one to the extreme it wouldn't work out.

No comments: