"If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison
Much is expected of those to whom much is given. What have you been given, and what, if any, expectations do you think people should have of you? What expectations do you have for yourself?
I believe the guy on Spiderman said something related to this. Peter's uncle I believe, "Remember, with great power, comes great responsibilty." -Uncle Ben, Spiderman, like much of us in the world, is given a gift of this super cool mutant power. He is alot stronger than normal people and he can do things that normal people cannot do. Therefore his uncle highlights the fact that there is alot expected of him because of his abilities. I think he too has alot of expections about himself, he has to be stronger than the normal person because of his mutant power. He takes it apon himself to help those who need his help and to fight evil doers. I think after a while the people of the city expected alot from spiderman as well.
Spiderman wasn't the only one who had alot expected of him. Batman too, who didn't really have super powers, but had a ridiculous amount of money to blow on fancy gadgets and martial arts training. Batman was fearned by the people of gotham at first. But when they got to know him and how he was. They began to expect him to help out. They even built that light signal which they projected in the sky whenever they needed his help. The people of Gotham expected him to be there and fight the bad guys.
What difference is there between these super heroes and or government and national leaders. Should we expect anything different from our local police officers and firemen. When there is trouble, we expect them to be there, to be proffesional in what they do because our safety is on the line. When the twin towers were bombed who did we look to. Of course we looked to president Bush, we elected him to deal with this stuff, we gave him this great power, therefore we expect him to protect us and lead us down the right path.
What difference in expections should we have of ourselves and what we are given. I was given a great opportunity to go to Punahou, a private school and the best one on the island. Being a minority I am already expected to do better than the majority of my race. Being Samoan I am expected to be a good athlete, due to the line of great football players of Samoan ethinicity. Being Samoan, I am expected to be very big. People are suprised when they find out that I am only 5'6. Alot of my cousins who don't play any sports go from high school straight into the army. My father was one of those people. Not saying that that is a bad path to follow. Going to a school like Punahou, it is already expected of me to go to college, since almost all Punahou graduates go to College. Going to Punahou, it is expected of me to get a good job. Since a lot of very key people in our government and our world have graduated from Punahou, for example, Barak Obama. "If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves."- Thomas Edison
I think these expectations are very reasonable ones. I have these same expectations for myself. I think the expectations you have of yourself are the strongest. Seeing that no one knows you better than yourself, and you know what you are, and are not capable of doing.
Blog Archive
Wednesday, February 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment