Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Intro: I Live Ewa

I know it takes an hour and a half to get from my house to school on a clear day. Three years have passed and I still wake up at 4:50 a.m. every morning. I know the Government plans to put 15,000 more houses where I live. There’s only one way in and out of Ewa. Kapolei is supposedly going to be the new City which means new jobs waiting for new workers out of Ewa. Yeah right. I know that’s not going to work. I don’t know what time I’m going to have to wake up after 15,000 more cars need to get out of Ewa. It’s almost like no one wants to be here.
I know our economy needs more people to live and ‘buy’ Hawaii. I know that Ewa side needs more attention. I don’t know if more houses will fix the drug problem, the gangs, or the education. I know that we need to crack down harder on law breakers and better educate the youth. But what do I truly know, I go to school on the other side of the island. My typical day starts in Ewa and ends in Ewa, I wake up and sleep in Ewa, thats about it. I don’t know what goes on while I’m gone. But I have a good idea.
I know who I am. I’m very proud of that. It’s pretty obvious any way. I am the missing link in the human evolutionary track, right after big foot and before the cave man. I’m five foot six, width wise I know that. I’m alright with that fact but there are some days I wish I was six foot five in regular human height. I know that’s human nature to want to be greater than what you are. Seeing that my middle name is Fiasili which means ‘wanting greatness’, I wasn’t any exception. I know that the Nazi’s killed thousands of Jewish men, women and children over one man ‘wanting greatness’. I know that thousands of people have died because of another man ‘wanting greatness’. Some big man higher up the social latter (a.k.a. ‘the man’) is getting a lot of greatness with the building of 15,000 more houses in Ewa. I know Greed is in evident. It’s a natural human feeling. It’s my middle name. I don’t know how many people I have hurt in my strive for greatness and I don’t know how many more people. I hope not more than 15,000.
I know how a war starts. It starts with one man wanting more. Like the old Christian missionaries who spread their God into Godless parts of the world, Africa, India, Asia, Mexico, Polynesia. I know change is in evitable. Some people would fight and die trying to keep things the same. The Aztecs fought the white man. The Africans fought the white man. The Asians fought the white man. The Indians fought the white man. The Polynesians fought the white man. The white man fought the white man. I know greed was the reason for all these fights. If people weren’t so greedy, countless people would have gotten a chance to live a little longer. Then again, I don’t know where I’d be right now. I’d probably be living in a grass shack wearing a tapa skirt and learning how to hunt pig. I don’t know if ‘wanting greatness’ is good or bad. I don’t know if my middle name is a blessing or a curse.

No comments: