“All my life I’ve tried to set my shoes squarely into his footprints, believing if only I stayed close enough to hiim those same clean, simple laws would rule my life as well. That the Lord would see my goodness and fill me with light. Yet with each passing day I find myself farther away. There’s a great holy war going on in my father’s mind, in which we’re meant to duck and run and obey orders and fight for all the right things, but I can’t always make out the orders or even tell which side I am on exactly. I’m not even allowed to carry a gun. I’m a girl. He has no inkling.” p. 244
This quote is from Leah. I think this is a very important quote because it shows how Leah and the rest of the family are drifting away from Nathan. I think this is very prominent because Leah is like Nathan reencarnated into a young girl. Leah also says how she always wanted to be just like her father, but now she, along with the rest of the family, find themself astray from Nathan and his teachings and his orders.
“I knew when I went down. Someone’s bare foot wsa on my calf and then my back, I was being trampled. A crush of feet on my chest. I rolled over again and again, covering my head with my arms. I found a my way to my elbows and raised myself up, grabbing with my strong left hand at legs that dragged me forward. Ants on my earlobes, my tongue, my eyelids. I heard myself crying out loud -- such a strange noise, as if it came from my hair and fingernails, and again and again I came up. Once I looked for my mother and saw her, far ahead. I followed, bent on my own rhythm. Curved into the permanentsong of my body: left...behind.” p.306
This quote is from Adah, she thoroughly describes her experience of the ant attack on her, her sisters and her mother. I think this maybe a symbol or foreshadow of things to come. It is a very good picture when we see all the ants all over her body and pulling her down.
Thursday, March 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment